Skip to content

Utah Office of the Medical Examiner

Search Main Menu
For Families

Financial Assistance

What if I cannot afford a funeral?

If the expenses of a funeral cannot be covered by the family, the county in which death occurred will be responsible for cremation and disposition of the remains after a reasonable period of time has elapsed for families to seek some financial assistance.

In Salt Lake County contact Wiscombe Memorial regarding financial assistance.

Outside of Salt Lake County contact your local health department to inquire about financial assistance.

My loved one/friend was a veteran. Is there any assistance available?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) program to reimburse for the purchase of a casket or urn used to inter a deceased, eligible, Unclaimed Veteran in a VA National Cemetery, is in place.  The program allows for the reimbursement to any individual or entity, has standards for the casket or urn purchased, and by law requires that the Veteran died on or after January 10, 2014.

For eligible Veterans who died on or after January 10, 2014 and were interred in a VA national cemetery prior to May 13, 2015, there are special instructions for applying for the reimbursement.

Burial in a national cemetery is open to all members of the armed forces, and Veterans who have met minimum active duty service requirements, and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. Their spouse, widow, or widower, minor children, and, under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities, may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or who die while on training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial.   To learn more click here.

Site SettingsSettings